B.Ed. Special Education (Hearing Impairment & Visual Impairment)
The Special Education Cell of SCERT implemented the Education of the disabled children since 1985. Since its inception the SCERT has grown in size and stature, it acts as a Resource Centre for Inclusive Education. The Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI), the Apex Govt. Body set up under an Act of Parliament, to regulate training programmes and courses targeted at disabled, disadvantaged and special education requirement communities. It is the only Statutory Council in India that is required to maintain the Central Rehabilitation Register which mainly documents details of all qualified professionals who operate and deliver training and educational programmes for the targeted communities. Knowing the need for Qualified Rehabilitation Professionals and in order to develop more Rehabilitation Professionals within the North Eastern States, the SCERT Mizoram after a thorough inspection by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI) was given permission to run the B.Ed. Special Education (Hearing Impairment & Visual Impairment) courses from the academic session 2018 – 2020. Affiliation was done under Mizoram University. It may be noted that SCERT Mizoram is the only Institution in the North East selected to conduct these B.Ed. Special Education Programme so that more Rehabilitation Professionals are developed.
The B.Ed.Special Education Programme aims to develop professionals for special education within a broad perception of education in the ensuing age of Information Technology, Revolution and Globalization. The programme aims to educate and train aspirants to become agents of change as teacher professionals through imbibing required knowledge, understanding, attitude and skill. The B.Ed.Special Education Programme is designed to empower special educators to teach students with disabilities in Inclusive and Special Schools, give thorough knowledge in specific disability areas as well as cross disability areas and train in different pedagogies of teaching. The B.Ed. Special Education Programme will prepare human resource to acquire knowledge and develop competencies and skills to impart education and training effectively to children with disability as well as all children.
The two B.Ed. Special Education Courses i.e. Hearing Impairment and Visual Impairment Courses, which has an intake capacity of 60 seats(30 each). For the academic session 2018 – 2020, 60 students were admitted, for the next academic session i.e. 2019 – 2021 60 students are newly admitted.
On successful completion of the B.Ed. Special Education Programme students will:
· Acquire knowledge and skills of human development, contemporary Indian Education and pedagogy of various school subjects and assessment for learning.
· Acquired knowledge and skills of the nature and educational needs of children with disabilities as well as of select specific disabilities.
· Develop conceptual understanding of educational provision and skills for working with children with various disabilities in Special and Inclusive Education.
· Acquire enhanced knowledge and skills for professional development.
· As per the provision of RCI, the successful candidates of B.Ed. Special Education shall be able to obtain a ‘Registered Professional Certificate’ from the RCI to work as a teacher in the field of special education.